Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Wednesday 15.4.20

Don’t get me wrong, it is a beautiful sunny day out there. There is a crispness in the air and a circular rainbow around the sun, because of the high hazy , very thin clouds. But the birding is static. It is like spring has come to an end! On my cycle through Ferry Meadows CP this morning I felt as if I was a farmer doing the rounds checking that all his livestock and crops were doing OK, everything in the right place. The Red Kite was still sitting on its nest, the Dunnocks were still lined up pretending to be Redstarts on one of my favourite fencelines for scanning for the latter. The Whitethroats, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and Willow Warblers were all singing from exactly the same spot as on previous days this week.
The grebes were still displaying and the Common Terns and Sand Martins still appear to be settling in nicely. Perhaps the most interesting birds of the day (from a ‘different’ point of view) were a couple of noisy, squawking Jays.
Most of our summer visitors have made an appearance, but I still anticipate that by the end of the month I will have heard/seen my first Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Reed Warbler, Cuckoo and Swift. Just not today!

No comments: