Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Tuesday 14.4.20

It was still cold in the country park this morning. Apart from the Arctic Terns moving on (as expected, with these strictly passage birds in these here parts), there was very little change since Monday. I did stumble across a small flock of Fieldfares in an area I don’t normally check. These winter thrushes will be heading north and east soon, but we often getting them hanging on through the middle and even later parts of April.
Sky Lark numbers are, if you pardon me saying it, sky high at the moment. They are singing their hearts out everywhere. There continue to be seemingly exceptional numbers of Green Woodpeckers and I am hearing plenty of drumming Great Spotted Woodpeckers, too.
Incidentally, yesterday’s Arctic Terns have pushed my Ferry Meadows CP 2020 list up to the 100 mark. This is, of course, a place I cycle through every day on the way to work (in normal working times), and where in the autumn a few friends and I would do a daily ‘vis mig’ (visible migration) watch in the autumn. Last year my total for the park was 127 bird species. This year, with earlier and more thorough exercise sessions, I am hoping to at least get into the 130s. I may not be able to do a full #My200BirdYear challenge, but at least I can have a go at a Ferry Meadows CP #My139BirdYear.

No comments: