Friday, April 17, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Friday 17.4.20

Another day passes with no Redstarts or Ring Ouzels in my neck of the woods. They are surely around, but not within my zone of exercise, despite giving the whole Ferry Meadows CP area what (to me) seems a thorough working over, in the limited time before work.
In fact, I recorded no new species, fresh in, today; instead, this morning was a day for enjoying some of the singing spring migrants which have already dropped in. Lesser Whitethroats were the most prominent, with a few more rattling away with their dry songs in dense hedges. But probably the bird of the day was the same Grasshopper Warbler I heard yesterday in the distance. Today, I pinned down its location to a ‘green lane’ called Landy Green Way, where it was ‘reeling’ unseen from within the dense hedge.

Yellowhammer, Landy Green Way (the Grasshopper Warbler was singing just underneath!)

Grasshopper Warbler is a bird I never used to encounter until I moved to Peterborough 20 years ago. Around here, they are not difficult to hear (if not see), if you check certain sites each year.
What will this weekend bring? Redstart and Ring Ouzel, I hope!

No comments: