Thursday, April 09, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 9.4.20

Last night (8th) I did one of my nightly listening vigils in our garden (between 9.30 and 11pm). I was rewarded with a calling Moorhen flying by and a repeated calling Tawny Owl (kewick call and a bit of a hoot), the first I have heard in my garden for many years. I also heard a weird high double call which sounds mammalian (and I have heard on three nights, now); I got a brief recording, so may be able to get some analysis.
Back at Ferry Meadows CP, things were pretty stable this morning. The Common Tern was still hanging around. I noticed for the first time today that it has a BTO ring on its right leg. But apart from telling this bird from any new unringed individual, this won’t give much information… Yellow Wagtails were reported yesterday afternoon, but I didn’t bump into any today.

No comments: