Thursday, April 02, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 2.4.20

Today was a bit of a change in exercise routine for me. I turned the other way out of my house and within ten minutes I was on the tarmac path between the Nene Valley Railway and the River Nene, in the Woodston area of Peterborough. The previous evening, someone had reported a singing Firecrest down there, so it was worth a quick change in my usual cycling route. Needless to say, there was no Firecrest, but the Chiffchaffs were singing there hearts out along the scrubby tree-fringed banks of the river.
A few Blackcaps have also appeared recently and it is great to hear their fluty songs. Lots of other birds were singing their little hearts out, including Wrens and Goldfinches. Other highlights included a few singing Cetti’s Warblers, at the little Woodston Ponds Wildlife Trust reserve, which is looking quite splendid (a mix of reed-fringed pools, scrub and taller trees). A Kingfisher whizzed by as well. I expect later this week to hear my first Willow Warblers singing. For now, the first signs of spring are putting some hope in my heart.

No comments: