Thursday, April 30, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 30.4.20

A strange thing happened today. I went to check on the singing Nightingale (on Coney Meadows, a dense, bushy part of the Ferry Meadows CP complex), and perhaps to get some more recordings. But the bird appeared to have moved to the extreme south-eastern corned or the Hawthorn stand (whereas it had previously favoured the north-west). I figured that after nearly 10 days, it was shaping up to leave, and having a last hurrah from a slightly different part of the potential breeding habitat.
But as I was trying to get in position to make a recording, I was sure I heard another one singing in the distance. And I did. The original north-western corner bird was still in place; we have two singing Nightingales on the small Coney Meadows area. Having not had any here for years, suddenly… I am trying to resist… like buses… Oh dear.
A flock of 15 Swifts dropped down over Gunwade for a short while. And the other highlight for me, today, was flyby drake Mandarin (112 for Ferry Meadows in 2020).

No comments: