Thursday, April 23, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 23.4.20

I am in that weird time period which only happens every decade or more. It is that time during which I have Cuckoo on my year list but haven’t heard a Cuckoo yet! This morning while walking and pushing my bike down the side of a hedgerow down at Ferry Meadows CP (looking for Redstarts), a Cuckoo flew over, silently. I watched it fly off and never saw it again (nor heard it!). So, that takes my Ferry Meadows CP year list to 109 species. Not too bad.

Morning webs, Castor Mill My Peterborough area year list is at 150, but I am trying not to think of that too much, to avoid feeling ‘The Grip’.
Other highlights this morning, included the continuing presence fo the singing Nightingale on Coney Meadows; the continuing sitting of the Red Kites on their nests; three Cetti’s Warblers singing; and a few more Sedge Warblers, Garden Warblers and Lesser Whitethroats than in recent days.
I still await a Redstart!

Speckled Wood feeding on Garlic Mustard, our garden

No comments: