Monday, July 06, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Monday 6.7.20

It has been a few weeks since I cycled to Ferry Meadows CP and, having lost a bit of weight during the early weeks of lockdown, my heft has once more been creeping up. But, I needed no excuse to head back to FMCP, this morning, though it is ostensibly the quietest time of the year.
My main aim, though, was to check on the Red Kite nest which, you may recall, had two fluffy chicks a few weeks ago. I won’t be saying where this nest is, as it is rather near a very public path, but remains just about unknown to the ‘general public’. I looked up though my binoculars and saw what I took, initially, to be an adult kite, perched a metre or so from the nest. A second look revealed that this wan, in fact on e fo the formerly fluffy juveniles, transformed into a ginger-headed teenager!

Juvenile Red Kite by its nest (and the tail of a second juvenile, if you look under the broad branch at 4 o’clock from the main one), Ferry Meadows CP, Peterborough, Cambs, 6.7.20
I took a few discreet photographs, and noted that the tail of its sibling was also on show, nearby (if the rest of that bird was hidden in Ivy and behind branches!). I am so happy, that the kites here seem to have succeeded in bringing up their two youngsters to very close to independence.

Red Kite feather, Ferry Meadows CP, 6.7.20

No comments: