Friday, May 22, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Friday 22.5.20

I gave Ferry Meadows a miss this morning and had a lie in. This was mainly because I took trip out until late last night, listening for night birds, and was too tired to get up and out before work (I will exercise later, instead). If you are interested, it was moderately still (now it is very windy) in the gloaming and the dark., and I heard perhaps half a dozen Water Rails, maybe three Bitterns and a couple of Tawny Owls, plus some horribly barking Roe Deer. Oh, and the International Space Station went over near 11pm and I even manage to determine some structure on it by looking through my scope!
My drive home was delayed by some roadworks and a hefty detour through the fens, but I did see a delightfully tiny baby fox out there, which was probably only about 18 inches from nose tip to tail tip.
I have just taken a short break from work (the office is our kitchen), to pootle in the garden for a few minutes. Something is always going on. Swifts are whizzing around overhead, a male Blackbird was gathering great beak-fulls of moss for a new nest, and the sparrows were achirruping. Our pond is a bit over-covered with duckweed, but the Smooth Newts seem to like it. There are loads of them in the pond at the moment, and I could see them shifting the duckweed around just now.
Also, I noticed a Water Measurer. We do well for these charming little ‘bugs’. they are like ‘badly-made’ Pond Skaters, without the speed or agility. I took this close up photo when the pond was pretty new, in 2007.

No comments: