Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Wednesday 3.6.20

I was back on my bike, cycling down to Ferry Meadows CP this morning. My hopes in early June were for something like Little Tern passing through, or perhaps one of the Ospreys which keep being reported around Peterborough, in recent weeks (including at least three times at FMCP). Instead the initial highlights were watching the feeding Swift flock over Gunwade Lake (the largest of the lakes there).
Also, on the shore of Gunwade, there was a family of Pied Wagtails, with fully-grown young, and a single juvenile Grey Wagtail (with a subtly buff breast; but lemon yellow undertail coverts).
But the real highlight came later, when I quickly checked the active Red Kite nest which it is possible to see, if you know where to look. Today, for the first time, I could make out two fluffy white chicks! I think it is the first time I have seen a Red Kite chick in the nest, anywhere!

No comments: