Monday, September 16, 2019

Juvenile Osprey, Deeping High Bank, Lincs


This (apparently unringed, certainly on the left leg) juvenile Osprey was a nice find along the Deeping High Bank on Sunday morning (ie yesterday). It was initially hunting along the river (Welland) and flew up as I drove along. I pulled over and whistled off some shots as quickly as I could. Shame about the cloudy sky. This is my second Peterborough area Osprey of the year, after the one I found on 2nd very close to my home in Peterborough, which was also a juvenile. The bird shown above, crossed to the Cambs side of the river and drifted south-west towards Peakirk and Glinton, followed by a Buzzard. If you are wondering, I am identifying it as a juvenile based on the very neat trailing edge; the 'chequered' flight feathers; the ochre feathering on the underwing coverts; and the 'spotted' (not solidly black) greater coverts; the chest patch; the barred tail; and the pale fringes on the upperwing.

No comments: