Monday, October 12, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Wednesday 30.9.20

 

The Meadow Pipits were trickling through in slightly increased numbers at Ferry Meadows, this morning, before work. Nothing spectacular (if Meadow Pipits can ever be described as such), but a more or less steady drip of groups of three or so passing over to the south.

The highlight of my wildlife day was when I wondered into the garden with a cup of tea for a brief break. I didn’t notice a Southern Hawker dragonfly until it flew up from near my feet and started patrolling around the garden, grabbing little insects. It was a female and I believe it was probably laying eggs on the rotting wood we have at one end of the pond, partly to attract Southern Hawker egg-laying. Unusually, they lay on wood, and the little nymphs emerge briefly before entering the water for their long aquatic stage.

It has been about a decades since we last had Southern Hawkers emerging from the pond, so I hope we get an emergence next summer. They are spectacular, large, brightly coloured dragonflies which have the endearing habit of seeming to investigate humans on their territory…

No comments: