Monday, October 12, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Tuesday 29.9.20

 

Today was a terrible day of ‘dipping’ which is birding parlance for failing to see birds! It started in the rainy morning, when my friend Don Gardener (Mr Ferry Meadows) phoned me to tell me he had 25 Common Scoters on Overton Lake FMCP. I cycled like the wind, but they were nervous, apparently and had long flown by the time I got there.

In the early evening a message came of another 6 Common Scoters appearing also on Overton Lake, Ferry Meadows. I cycled like the wind (again) and arrived to find zippity doo da nothingness! I had dipped 31 Common Scoters in one day!

I decided to go to Tanholt where a Little Stint had been reported in the afternoon, along with 4 Dunlin , Green Sandpier and Snipe. All I saw was one lousy juvenile Dunlin. Harrumph.

No comments: