Monday, October 12, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Saturday 10.10.20

 









I arrived at the Nene Terrace site at first light, this morning, to see at least 30 cars already there and a crowd gathered near the Lammergeier tree. I set myself where I had been the previous evening and awaited sunrise. The vulture left the roost earlier than on Friday, but it did not go far, circling the adjacent ploughed field then landing in the road!

It apparently picked something dead from the road and proceeded to consume it in the ploughed field. Needless to say the crowd followed (including me) and we all got some great photos of the Lammergeier. After a while, it flew across the field, and landed again, to pluck the fur off a Rabbit or hare, and swallow the bones. But a Magpie kept jumping on its back and pulling its tail, making the Lammergeier flash the bright red flesh at the back of its eyes at the annoying corvid!

After the Lammergeier flew out of site, I returned to Peakirk to seek out the Radde’s Warbler (or at least see if I could relocate it after it no having been seen since Thursday). Almost immediately, though I was distracted by a small Otter, fishing the channel called The Folly…

No comments: