Monday, October 12, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Friday 9.10.20

 









I started the day at the Lincolnshire village of Cowbit. The reason I was there is the Lammergeier had chosen to roost on a Rook’s nest in an Ash tree just on the north edge of the village, and I knew it would be still there at first light. So, I had arranged to meet Jake, our expert video man, to do a short video about the vulture for the Bird Watching social media platforms. At just before 9am, the Lammergeier left the roost and headed east and then south, completely surrounded by Rooks, Jackdaws and Carrion Crows!

After we completed the recording of the video, I popped into the Cambs village of Helpston to look for a Yellow-browed Warbler which had been seen there, and do another short video. Sadly, Jake had to get back home, so couldn’t make it to Helpston. But, luckily, I was able to hear the little warbler calling many times, and saw its Goldcrest-like silhouette as it left its favoured Sycamore tree. This is the 13th species of warbler I have seen in the Peterborough area this year!

In the evening, the Lammergeier was seen to come into roost again, offering very close views near the entrance of a friendly farmer’s field, between Crowland and Thorney, near the Cambridgeshire hamlet of Nene Terrace (see photos below). I know where I will start the day, tomorrow…


No comments: