Thursday, October 15, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Thursday 15.10.20

 









The weather was atrocious this morning, so I skipped the usual Ferry Meadows cycle and vis mig session. Instead, my wildlife watching consisted of popping into the garden and noting some fly over Sky Larks and the sound of migrating Fieldfares. In the afternoon, after work, I headed up to the Deeping High Bank to search for birds of prey. I did not see the male Hen Harrier reported the evening before, but in breaks in the showers, I did see a couple of Marsh Harriers and a Buzzard or tow, including this bird, on a fence, on the bank of the river (Welland).

I thought it may be worth checking the east pit at Deeping Lakes, and was very pleasantly surprised to hear a Bearded Tit calling from the nearby reeds. I also saw one Beardy flying over the top of the reeds (in silhouette). It was a year tick for me, taking my PBC year list to 180. I have also decided to add Ring-necked Parakeet (the breeding population in Peterborough seems established and self-sustaining), so make that 181.

No comments: