Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Saturday 17.10.20

 

There was not much moving at Ferry Meadows again, this morning, so I abandoned the park to search for Rock Pipits at Maxey. I always say, that 17th October is peak Rock Pipit day. I have found them on this date before, and remember the date, as it is my son Eddie’s birthday. When I got to Maxey, I got a message from a friend of mine, Fitz, who said he had a couple of Barnacle Geese at Baston and Langtoft pits. Now, I have always argued that if there is more than one at BLGP then I would tick one for my local year list. (but if there is only one it could be the long-term resident of dubious origin).

Anyhow, I arrived at BLGP to look for the Barnacles, and as soon as I got out of the car, a Rock Pipit flew over calling repeatedly, before flying east. That was year tick 182 and I soon picked up the two Barnacle Geese to make it 183 (note that I have sneakily added Ring-necked Parakeet to my Peterborough list).

But, events were taking a turn elsewhere, and the first twitchable Rufous Bushchat of my lifetime was at Stiffkey, Norfolk, and I decided to go for it. I met my friend Chris Jones, and together we watched the wonderful, though slightly tired looking) Rufous Bush Robin, or Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin or Rufous Warbler if you prefer, under the watchful eye of at least seven police officers, making sure everyone kept suitably socially distanced.


No comments: