Monday, October 12, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Sunday 11.10.20

 

As it was not clear where the Lammergeier had roosted, I started the day looking for scarce finches etc at Castor Hanglands NNR, just west of Peterborough. Immediately, it was obvious that Redwings were on the move. In the first 2.5 hours I was there, I recorded 5,000 Redwings, all flying west, low over the treetops. If this represents an average area, typical of the passage of Redwings over the Peterborough area, then perhaps 200,000 to 500,000 passed over the PBC recording area this morning (2-6% of the entire UK wintering population). I also had 50 Fieldfares (my first of the autumn), 2 Crossbills and 2 Bramblings over (my first of the year!).

In the afternoon, I visited the Great Fen, where I saw a very distant Osprey. It has been an exceptional year for these brilliant birds around here, and this is my fourth encounter of the year.

No comments: