Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Wednesday 24.6.20

Yesterday evening, Ed and I were back at Castor Hanglands NNR in our ongoing search for Purple Emperors (which only started on Monday). As we were thinking of giving up (having seen several White Admirals, which are nice but no emperors!), a Purple Emperor flew over the treetops and crossed our path, only to promptly disappear. Another try this evening, I think…
In our garden, I saw what I believe is a new juvenile Dunnock first thing, as well as a different juvenile Robin from the regular visitor. So, breeding still seems to be progressing nicely among the birds. Meadow Browns are the order of the day when it comes to garden butterflies, with a few hanging around.
I decided after several years of neglect, to completely empty our Belfast sink mini-pond/birdbath, add some fresh pond plants and a few bricks and sticks as refuges/escape routes for critters. What do you think?


Belfast sink min-pond, our garden, Peterborough, 24.6.20
At lunchtime, I went and had a pootle in the garden. The highlights were seeing four big Frogs at the pond, and even better, a female Banded Demoiselle hunting over the pond. It is only about the second or third time we have ever seen one of these lovey insects in the garden. And (would you believe?) it is the first dragonfly of any type I have seen in the garden this year.

Female Banded Demoiselle, our garden , Peterborough, 24.6.20

PS The bin me have emptied our garden bins!

No comments: