Thursday, June 18, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 18.6.20

Firstly, for those who are caught up in the gripping plot line of Peterborough council’s bin collection, it turns out they are coming next week, after all… Spoilers!
This news encouraged me to go further with my light-gathering operations in the garden, cutting back more Elder and buddleia branches to reveal the sky and allow light onto our fruit trees. Give it a week or two (I tell myself) and the ugly bare ground that has been revealed will start bursting into green growth. I had a bit of a sit around in the garden after doing this heavy duty gardening, in the evening. My first reward was a pair of fly-over Rooks. They fly over every night on their way to roost, but the amount of ‘canopy’ in our garden has stopped me seeing the sky clearly enough to see them for many years!
The second reward for sitting quietly doing nothing was a female-type Blackcap appearing just above our pond, gently working its way through a Dogwood bush, looking for caterpillars etc. I haven’t had any evidence of Blackcaps in the garden for many weeks, so it felt very special watching this bird. I really like warblers, and have a particular fondness for Sylvia warblers (not that I am planning to go to Northumberland for the singing Asian Desert Warbler on Holy Island, you understand… ).

No comments: