Monday, June 29, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Monday 29.6.20

It was a very quiet wildlife again, today. The Long-tailed Tits were back once again in numbers, though. I wonder if they nested very close to our garden, as they seem to spend a lot of their day hanging out here. I have moved a few aquatic plants from our main pond to the ‘drinking pond’ to make it look more attractive (to us and to smaller wildlife), while not putting the birds off using it as a drinking and bathing pool.
Possibly the most interesting thing I found today was about moths. After a few enquiries on Twitter I have discovered where the website with the moths of Northamptonshire and Peterborough (we are lumped together in ‘vice county 32) for the purposes of recording wildlife etc) has been hiding recently. Anyhow, the website has moved and I have been able to access it again, which means I can once again see which moths have been recorded in my corner of VC32.
Anyhow the long and short of the matter is that the Varied Coronet I caught at the weekend was possibly the first in my ‘km square’ (actually a third of a square, as the rest is in neighbouring VC31 Huntingdonshire), this millennium.

No comments: