Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Wednesday 27.5.20

Yesterday, for the first time, the Great Tit babies started showing their faces at the opening of the nest box outside our kitchen window. Well, one did, at least. The adults were feeding them frantically, seemingly searching every nook and cranny fo our garden for any morsel they could get their beaks on.
But this morning, there was a twist. Just before I left for my morning cycle to Ferry Meadows [nothing to report, folks, apart from the Red Kites are still sitting on the nest and I saw Banded Demoiselle and Hairy Dragonfly], my son Eddie told me there was a baby Great Tit on the ground under the nest box.

Adult Great Tit at our garden nest box, Peterborough, 26.5.20

Baby Great Tit looking out of our garden nest box, Peterborough, 26.5.20
And he was right. He is out there now, hopping around and perching on a couple of saucepans which just happen to sitting out there as ‘props’ (don’t ask why!). I just hope the local moggies, of which there is an excessive number around here, don’t get curious…

Bay Great Tit on our garden saucepans, Peterborough, 27.5.20

No comments: