Thursday, May 07, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Friday 7.5.20

It was a lovely sunny day in the country park, again today. And there were two clear highlights of my morning’s exercise cycle wildlife-watching session. The first was my first sighting this year of baby Lapwings, two of them, on farmland just over the river (Nene) from Ferry Meadows itself, viewed from the path following the side of the Nene Valley Railway. The chicks were about the size of a Common Sandpiper and very cute!
My second highlight was during a spell trying to see a reported Green Hairstreak butterfly in a little sun trap area of FMCP. I failed, but I did have my first sighting (at least that I can remember) of a very small day-flying moth called the Small Yellow Underwing. A real little beauty of a moth made my day!

Small Yellow Underwing. This tiny day-flying noctuid looks rather like one of the Pyrausta micro moths. Today was the first time I remember seeing one; it was in a sunny corner of FMCP, near Lynch Bridge. Delightful little fellow!

No comments: