Thursday, May 28, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 28.5.20

‘Our’ garden Great Tits are now all out of the nest box and roaming ours and our neighbours’ gardens. They are pretty hidden in bushes and trees, but give themselves away with their constant begging calls. I am not sure how many survived transition from box to garden, but it doesn’t sound like many! Perhaps only one or two…
But talking of birds nesting in our garden, I have news of the magpies which nested in the top of a thin, Honeysuckle-topped Alder tree at one end of our pond. I have been concerned about this pair, which seemed to spend ages making their nest but have since been quiet and elusive. It seemed that they had failed in their breeding attempt.
However, just now (10.230am), I popped out to check (you can only see the nest from a certain angle near our compost bin), and to my surprise, there were two quite large, pale-gaped Magpie babies, already out of the nest, (and already with the start of their tails!), making little rough grunting calls. I will try to sneak a photo later. But I am delighted that these excellent birds have successfully raised young in our garden.
Some people don’t welcome Magpies. I love them!

No comments: