Thursday, May 21, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 21.5.20

A warm and brooding morning, I feel something rare is about to appear around here! ‘Birdy’ is how I would put it. But there was nothing exceptionally rare in Ferry Meadows CP, this morning (yet!). Again, the two Nightingales are shouting their hearts out. Shouting is a bit unfair, as I find their virtuoso singing quite delightful and am enjoying it as much as possible while I can. Who knows when we will next get to enjoy this wonderful song in the park? One bird is particularly showy, reminding me of holidays of yore in Spain and France, where the Nightingales always seem more showy than our birds (the inverse of Robins, I guess!). Here is another photo I took of him.

Nightingale, Ferry Meadows CP, Peterborough
In the same area, there are nesting Lesser Whitethroats, Song Thrushes, Willow Warblers, Dunnocks and Goldfinches. The whole scrubby Hawthorn patch is packed with breeding birds (and the air is full of their songs). Other interesting birds in the park today included a singing male Cuckoo, a fly-by, new-in male Pochard and a pair of Oystercatcher (moderately scarce visitors to the park).

No comments: