Sunday, May 03, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Sunday 3.5.20

I took a slightly longer cycle out with my 18-year-old son, Eddie, today. We toured Ferry Meadows, but then headed a bit north of the park to the airstrip of the Milton Estate which is a grassy strip of a couple of km, near the village of Ailsworth. The best thing there were a pair of Grey Partridges (in a similar spot to a week or so ago). These are pretty scarce birds around Peterborough, and to find them on a cycle ride was great.
We then ventured a bit further north, in a bit of a loop and were able to see both Wheatear and a glorious male Whinchat on our cycle. This is the peak time for these latter beauties which pass through the Peterborough area in very small numbers in early May. Sadly, I didn’t have my camera with me for this ride, but I can assure you it was a special bird!

No comments: