Saturday, May 23, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Saturday 23.5.20

A friend of mine got up early, very early indeed, for his birding near Peterborough this very windy day, today. He saw various things, mainly a few passage waders, but most striking was a flyover flock of half-a-dozen Crossbills. they were heading south-westish, which meant in the direction of the Peterborough area’s largest pine stand, at Southey Wood (a bit south of Helpston). So, I started my day looking for finches there.
However, within a few minutes of arriving, news came that another friend of mine had just found a Purple Heron, flying along the River Welland by Deeping Lakes LWT (ie less than 10 minutes away by car). So, naturally, I went to try to refind that bird. I must really learn this lesson: Purple Herons are almost impossible to refind around here! I saw one briefly at Maxey Pits (part of the same Welland-based river system) last spring, and watched it land in a small reed-lined ditch; and despite searching for hours on eand, it never reappeared (at least in sight of any birders).
The best I got was hearing a singing Corn Bunting (which seem to be having a good spring around here). Then the wind became so excessive, I turned my attention to jobs around the home…

No comments: