Thursday, September 10, 2020

Responsible Birding Diary: Monday 31.8.20

 

I was inspired by yesterday’s Redstart to have an early-ish start at Eldernell. Once more I walked the hedge, but it was so much less windy, sunnier and warmer that birds were dripping out of the bushes. There were families of Reed Warblers, Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Lesser Whitethroats in the Hawthorn hedge, as well as the usual Greenfinches and Goldfinches. In a few hours I recored 54 bird species (some heard only, like Greenshank and Crane), including my first fly-over redpoll of the autumn and a few Siskins, plus Hobby.

The best action though came with the same male Redstart as yesterday, plus a couple of Spotted Flycatchers. I wasted a bit of time chasing after a reported Pied Flycatcher very close to where I had been searching all morning! Never mind…



Male Redstart, Eldernell, Cambs, 31.8.20
Spotted Flycatcher, Eldernell, Cambs, 31.8.20
Migrant Hawker, Eldernell, Cambs, 31.8.20

No comments: