Friday, July 29, 2011

Jethro Tull top ten

I was thinking about my top ten Jethro Tull songs, for no obvious reason, and came up with this bunch off the top of my head (not necessarily in order of preference), which are probably not every body's cup of tea or the most obvious choices for some:

...And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps,
Thick as a Brick (side one),
Dun Ringill,
For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me,
Pibroch (Cap in Hand),
Songs From the Wood,
Black Satin Dancer,
Weathercock,
Flying Dutchman,
And Further On.

What do you reckon?

4 comments:

Roy said...

Jethro Tull ?
I reckon, you don't have the hair for it any more Mike.{:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, a Jethro Tull fan, bit of a rarity in itself! Pleased that you have mentioned a couple of tracks from the amazing 'Stormwatch' album. I really like 'Old Ghosts' from that album. Last year I drove along the west and north coasts of Scotland, and while I was up there I just had to go and visit Dun Ringill! I'll try and produce my top ten tracks, but it will be very difficult!

Alan

Mike Weedon said...

Roy,

I think you'll find that, despite being bald as a pancake, I only have a little less hair than the stalwarts of JT (Ian and Martin)...

Mike

Mike Weedon said...

Alan

When I first got Stormwatch in about 1981, I found it very disappointing, but on hearing Dun Ringill, I started to be converted. My favourite JT period has always been the Minstrel to Heavy Horses period of the mid-70s. I have never understood why Locomotive Breath gets so much credit, as I find it rather dreary...
Back to Old Ghosts, I agree it is a great track (you can keep Orion and Dark Ages, though).

Mike