Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sanson Ki Mala Pey

I love this song and listened to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (and party) singing it on my iPod on a repeat loop during my cycle rides to and from work last week, and think I will again this week...

So, it's nice to read what they are singing about, as revealed at this site

Sanson Ki Mala Pe

saaNsoN kii maalaa pe simruuN maiN pii ka naam
apne mann kii maiN jaanuuN aur pii ke mann kii Ram

With every breath I take, I chant the name of my beloved
I know of my heart, and God knows of the heart of my beloved

yahii merii bandagii hai, yahii merii puujaa

This is my salutation [and] this is my prayer.

ek thaa saajan mandir meN aur ek thaa pritam masjid meN
par maiN prem ke rang meN aisii Duubii ban gayaa ek hii ruup

One lover was in the temple and another in the mosque
but to me, immersed in the joy of love, both seemed same

prem kii maalaa japte japte aap banii maiN Shyam

Chanting on rosary, the name of Shyam [Lord Krishna], I become him.
Note: A Hindu God sung and revered by the patrons of love.

ham aur nahiiN kuchu kaam ke
matvaare pii ke naam ke, har dam

I am worthless except that
I surrender to the name of my beloved, all the time.

priitam kaa kuch dosh nahiiN hai vo to hai nirdosh
apne aap se baateN kar ke ho gayii maiN badnaam

My beloved is not to be blamed, it is no fault of his
I became infamous only because of talking to myself.

No comments: