Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Lockdown Diary: Thursday 6.8.20

Of course, I had to visit Deeping Lakes after the early morning fruit farm trip. But it was business as usual, there, with 5 Common Sandpipers once again. More exciting that the sandpipers was a visit by a Red Kite. It swooped down, talons spread, to one of the islands on the east pit (where most of the birds are), and was inches away from grabbing one of the few remaining Lesser Black-backed Gull chicks (there are half a dozen or so, plumping up nicely). I think Red Kite had a big say in wiping out the 40 odd LBbG broods hatched there this year, and it was not the first time I have seen one make a grab!

In the evening, I thought it was going to be a decent night for mothing, so, at dusk I set up both Skinner traps (one with a 40W actinic bulb, one with my new 125W MV bulb). As I was putting the traps together etc, I heard a rustling and a smallish Hedgehog came marching across the law a few yards away. What great beasties these are to have in the garden!!

No comments: