Monday, September 02, 2019

Male Redstart, Eldernell, Cambs


This beauty of a Redstart was in the classic 'Redstart hedge' alongside Eldernell Pit, yesterday. It is the second male I have found there this year (the first was seen briefly in the spring) and the second seeming adult male I found over the weekend (I also had an apparent adult male along the entrance track by the east pit at Deeping Lakes LWT on 31 August). Additionally, I saw a male at Ferry Meadows CP, that Don Gardener found a couple of weekends back. So, in all, I've seen four Redstarts in the Peterborough area this year (so far), all males and three of which I found myself. The bird above is about as pretty as Redstarts get at this time of year, as the younger and fresher birds tend to have their colours 'masked' by buff feather tips.

No comments: