Thursday, October 03, 2019

Cattle Egret, Ferry Meadows CP


In these modern times, where herons rule, you may be forgiven for shrugging at a distant photo of a Cattle Egret. But, this individual is only the second of its species ever seen in the well-watched Ferry Meadows Country Park. The first was in October 2018, and was found by Don Gardener, who was standing by me (and Andy Frost) vis-migging on The Mound, at c8.30am, as I called "egret" as it emerged, flying past the trees nearby. The first thing that struck me was the dark feet, then the compact build, and then the orange bill! It flew west-north-west over Gunwade and landed in the damp grassland of Long Meadow near the Pyramid among the cattle. Don and I cycled round through the deeply flooded path to get these shots. There were also at least three Stonechats by the Pyramid. The egret was a tad mobile and changed position on the meadow a few times (so I am told... I had to leave for work), and may have departed the park at 9.24am

One of three Stonechats on Long Meadow

No comments: