Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Great White Egret, Baston & Langtoft pits

I found this Great White Egret today, during my annual January 1 trawl around the PBC area trying to see as many birds as poss. This year would have been a cracking total, but was scuppered somewhat by the incredible flooding of late. This not only greatly increased the time to reach certain sites, but has also made lots of otherwise regular species move off. So, I couldn't find waders such as Golden Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff or Dunlin which as usually around at the moment (in GP's case by the thousand). However, I did get some very nice birds, including Smew, Waxwing, Crossbill and a wintering Chiffchaff. The first bird I saw in 2013 was a Woodcock and the last I saw to add to the list was Bittern.

No comments: