Saturday, December 26, 2009

Digiscoped Roe Deer







I only see Roe Deer at most a half a dozen times during the average year around here. Today, I found a group of three near two more in the Langtoft area. The two scarpered early on but the three allowed me to approach surprisingly close through the snow – using a Miscanthus crop to mask my presence. On the way a little Weasel was hunting up and down the track, but I didn't have my big camera to photograph it, just my digiscoping kit.
In the end, one of the Roes took it upon itself to come and investigate me and approached closer than digiscoping range before realising I was a human and getting away as quick as it could...

4 comments:

Bloke of Words said...

Lovely pictures, Mike. I think this is a doe and two of this year's fawns. They usually have twins. But what the Dickens is a Miscanthus crop?

Julie Zickefoose said...

Absolutely exquisite, Weeds. Hope you're having a wonderful holiday. JZ

Mike Weedon said...

Ta for your comments, folks. Please send my fondest regards to your gang, Zed. The English winter experience is always the same: dreary and mild followed by a tiny amount of snow some time between December and February which lasts a few days and brings the country to a grinding standstill. This year, though, the snow had the decency to be around at Chrimbo – the first White Christmas I remember since the 60s (and that might be my mind playing tricks).

Meanwhile, Miscanthus is some kind of grass which is grown as a biofuel, I think. Around here, I think it is just in trial sized plots or something to do with 'game cover'. The patches of it seem pretty dead, but at least it is tall enough to hide against when sneaking on Roe Deer...

Mike

Julie Zickefoose said...

Aggh--they're planting Miscanthus? I planted it as an ornamental in the yard 15 years ago and now am trying to eradicate it as it pops up...it's a HORRID invasive! And, I'd agree, quite sterile where wildlife is concerned. I've had song sparrows nest in it and that's about it. Seems to be little to no food value in the feathery seed. Regards sent, Weeds. Miss you! Keep shooting on those rare sunny days!